Let’s take a look at how to include a pagination of a list of photos on the pages in a public gallery.
To do this, go to the Photo contests => Settings menu, tab “General“, section “Pagination”. Here we can specify the number of photos per page. It must be at least 6 and not more than 300.
Why do we need to use a pagination:
- if there are a lot of photos and we want to increase the page loading speed;
- If you want to increase the number of page views on the site and, accordingly, the number of displayed advertisements.
The recommended amount per page is from 8 to 20 photos – it depends on the size of thumbnails and the number of photos in one row.
Let’s take a quick look at what possible types of pagination are provided for:
- Standard type – when clicking on the next page, we will switch to a new one with a full reload, where a new set of photos will be displayed.
- AJAX – very similar to the first type. The difference is that the entire page does not completely reload. New photos set are loaded instead of the old one, without reloading the page.
- Infinite Scroll. Using this type, at the end of the first page of the list of contestants will appear the button “Load more photos”. Clicking on it, the next page is loaded to the first page of the contestants. That is, new photos will be loaded at the end of the gallery accumulatively.
- The last type is the same as Infinite Scroll Auto, only with automatic photos preload. When we scroll the page almost to the end of the gallery, the next set of contestants is automatically loaded. This happens until all photos are uploaded.
Note: sometimes when caching is enabled, standard pagination may not work correctly. Then you need to use other types.